Chicken, Black Bean, and Tortilla Casserole
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil 15 ml
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper chopped
- 2-4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 15 oz chopped tomatoes (225 g) can
- 1 tsp ground cumin 5 ml
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano 2 ml
- Salt to taste
- 6 large chicken breast halves diced
- 15 oz black beans (225g each) , rinsed and drained
- 8 large corn tortillas
- 1 lb Monterey Jack cheese 450 g, grated
- ground pepper to taste
- Cayenne pepper or hot sauce to taste
- Heat the oil in a skillet over moderate heat and saute the onion, bell pepper, and garlic until tender but not brown, about 5 minutes.
- Puree the tomatoes with their liquid in an electric blender or food processor until it is fairly smooth but still contains some chunks.
- Stir the tomatoes and seasonings into the skillet and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the black beans and chicken, return to a boil, and remove from the heat.
- Layer 1/3 of the mixture into a lightly greased baking dish.
- Top with 4 tortillas and 1/4 (about 1 cup, 250 ml) of the cheese.
- Repeat, finishing with a layer of the bean mixture.
- You should have about half the cheese remaining.
- Bake covered in a preheated 350F (180C) oven for 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake uncovered until bubbly, about 10 minutes.
- Garnish as desired.