Macaroni and Cheese
This has to be one of my sons Favorited meals. The addition of cayenne pepper and nutmeg give it the heads up over others we have tried.Print Facebook Pinterest Twitter Add to CollectionCollections
Servings: 4 people
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cook the pasta uncovered in the boiling water, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is cooked through but still slightly firm, about 10 minutes.
- Drain well.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a large saucepan over medium heat and when it starts to bubble, add the flour and stir for about 4 minutes.
- Add thyme, cayenne pepper, and white pepper; cook and stir another minute, then whisk in 1 cup of milk until smooth.
- Pour in remaining milk and whisk again.
- Bring the sauce just to a simmer.
- Stir in nutmeg, Worcestershire sauce, and salt; simmer on medium-low heat until thickened, about 8 minutes, whisking often.
- Turn heat off, then add 2 1/4 cups of Cheddar cheese; stir until melted and combined.
- Add Dijon mustard.
- Transfer the macaroni into a casserole dish, then pour in the cheese sauce; stir to thoroughly combine sauce with pasta.
- Mix panko bread crumbs and 1 tablespoon melted butter in a small bowl, and sprinkle crumbs on top of macaroni and cheese.
- Sprinkle remaining 3/4 cup of Cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven until bread crumbs and Cheddar cheese topping are golden brown, about 20 minutes.
Calories: 1155kcal | Carbohydrates: 70g | Protein: 61g | Fat: 68g | Saturated Fat: 37g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 18g | Cholesterol: 184mg | Sodium: 2342mg | Potassium: 526mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 13g