Mushy Peas is one of those recipes that you must have when eating fish and chips. There is no mistaking the luminous green colour amongst the golden colours of the fish and the chips. How many people have tried it warm on a bed of mozzarella and homemade bread? It is absolutely superb.
- Pour the peas, water and half of the butter into a small saucepan and heat over medium high heat.
- Stir often until the peas are cooked and butter is melted, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mash the peas with a potato masher until consistency is reached.
- Add lemon juice and remaining butter and mix until butter is incorporated.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper adding optional herbs if using.