How to Poach the Perfect Egg.
1. Fill a wide pan with water and bring to the boil. Allow to calm slightly to a simmer.
2. Maintain a gentle simmer over a medium heat and season with a pinch of sea salt.
3. Crack a large free range egg into a clean cup.
4. Gently pour the egg into the water in one movement. Make sure the water is only simmering.
5. The egg will begin to cook immediately. A really soft poached egg should take around 2 minutes and a soft-to-firm one will need 4 minutes.
6. Carefully remove your egg from the pan with a slotted spoon (to drain the water) and give it a gentle prod with a teaspoon to see if it is cooked enough. If it feels too soft, put it back in the pan and give it a minute or so more to firm up.
7. When your egg is ready, remove it with the slotted spoon and place it on some kitchen paper to dry off. Use eggs at room temperature as taking them direct from the fridge can literally shock them.