Brioche has to be one of the best breads on the planet. It makes a superb toast and even better French Toast. The simplicity of the ingredients and recipe make this a popular for home baking. If you purchase the small bread tins, you can make bread surprises. This is where you cut the top off, remove the fluffy bread from the inside and fill it with a sweet of savoury filling. We are loading several recipes for you to try especially cheese brioche. So totally delicious, you will have a queue waiting for it to come out of the oven.
- Combine the flour, sugar, yeast, and salt in an electric food processor and process with the steel blade for 5 seconds.
- Add the butter and 3 eggs and process for 10 seconds.
- Add 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk and 1/3 cup (80 ml) water while the machine is running and process for 30 seconds.
- The dough should be very sticky-if it is not, add more water.
- Grease a large bowl and scoop the dough into it.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise 2 to 3 hours, until doubled in volume.
- Punch the dough down and, using just enough flour to enable you to handle the dough, shape it into 2 loaves.
- Place each loaf in a buttered loaf pan (8x4 inches (20x10 cm) or 9x5 inches (23x12 cm)).
- Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- Mix the egg yolk with the remaining milk and brush on the tops of the loaves.
- Bake in a preheated 400F (200C) oven for about 30 minutes, until golden brown.
- When done, the loaf should fall out of the pan easily and the bottom should sound hollow when thumped.
- Remove from the loaf pans and cool on wire racks.