Butternut Squash Risotto is a simple recipe that is ready in under 20 minutes. Due to the healthy ingredients, this recipe is vegetarian and counts towards your daily intake fruit and vegetables. Also it is possible to use vegetables such as Pumpkin and other squashes to vary the flavours and textures. Due to the many versions of Microwaves, make sure you read the instruction manual and never put anything metallic in the machine.
Butternut Squash Risotto Hint:
To prep a butternut squash, cut off the top and bottom, then cut in half. Peel with a small, sharp knife, scoop out seeds with a spoon, then cut the flesh into chunks.
Butternut Squash Risotto
- Tip the rice into a large bowl, then add 500ml of the hot vegetable stock.
- Cover with cling film and microwave on High for 5 mins.
- Meanwhile, peel and cut the squash into medium chunks (see tip, below).
- Stir the rice, then add the squash and the rest of the stock.
- Re-cover with cling film, then microwave for another 15 mins, stirring halfway, until almost all the stock is absorbed and the rice and squash are tender.
- Leave the risotto to sit for 2 mins, then stir in the parmesan and sage.
- Serve topped with more grated cheese or the warmed goats cheese.