I use an entire chicken in this matzo ball soup recipe. You’ll pull out the breast early on and use the white meat to garnish the finished bowls. Everything else stays and simmers for hours, enriching the stock with concentrated flavour and lip-smacking body. Remember to try our Jewish Chicken Stock recipe to make the best stock will every make. The chicken from this stock is perfect for Matzo Ball Soup. The Matzo represent the bread the Jew ate when leaving Egypt
Make the chicken stock a day or so in advance and keep in the fridge or freezer if earlier.
Matzo Ball Soup
- Mix eggs, matzo meal, schmaltz, club soda, and salt in a medium bowl (mixture will resemble wet sand; it will firm up as it rests).
- Cover and chill at least 2 hours.
- Bring chicken stock to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Add carrots; season with salt.
- Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are tender, 5–7 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add reserved breast meat, and cover. Set soup aside.
- Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil.
- Scoop out 2-tablespoonful portions matzo ball mixture and, using wet hands, gently roll into balls.
- Add the matzo balls to water and reduce heat so water is at a gentle simmer
- Cover pot and cook the matzo balls until cooked through and starting to sink, should be bout 20–25 minutes.