Eggs with Soldiers and Spears is a recipe that is simple to make but so tasty and surprisingly filling. A boiled egg also works with this dish. This is one of the easiest ways of getting my grandchildren to both help in the kitchen and eat vegetables. A double winner. Served as a Breakfast or Brunch dish, you will make the day start with a smile. Always make sure that the asparagus is lovely and tender before serving. The toast is best served firm but not cremated so that it blends with the eggs and asparagus. Give it a try and get a smile.
Eggs with Soldiers and Spears
- Place a griddle pan over a high heat.
- Cut off the base of the asparagus as these can dry out.
- Cut the pancetta in half across the middle, so you end up with 16 pieces,
- Wrap each asparagus in a slice of pancetta, then place onto the hot griddle and cook for 5 minutes. The asparagus should be tender and the pancetta crisp. Turn occasionally.
- Put a frying pan over a medium heat and add a little oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the eggs and fry gently until cooked.
- Whilst the eggs are frying, toast the bread, butter and cut into soldiers. Distribute amongst the plates.
- Remove the eggs from the pan and keep warm in the oven on a low heat until assembly.
- When everything is ready, place the asparagus, fried eggs and soldiers on the plates and dig in.