How to cook great crackling every time
- Brush the skin liberally with oil so that as the pork cooks, this will render the fat out and help it to blister
- Season with salt
- Score the skin with a sharp knife to help the fat escape during cooking, but don’t cut all the way into the meat.
- Pat skin dry then rub with salt and oil to help the fat render and the skin to puff and crisp.
- Weigh joint and roast the meat for 25 mins at 240C/fan 220C, then turn the oven down to 190C/fan 170C and roast for 25 mins per 450g/1lb.
- Rest the meat for 10-15 mins before carving.