Kao Pad is also known as Thai Fried Rice. The spices used define this dish as a central part of Thai Cuisine. The combination of Thai chillies, fish sauce, soy sauce and lime juice create a sublime marinade. It’s so good that you could use it on fish and meat and not just rice. You can easily add shrimp, chicken, pork or beef to this dish to turn it into a one dish meal. One of my favourite dishes that goes so well with Kao Pad is Sweet and Spicy Shrimp. They blend so well making it a superb cheap meal that is warm, filling and very tasty.
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 large lime quartered
- large cucumber sliced
- 1 large Thai onion sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small tomato quartered
- 350 g Thai jasmine rice pre-cooked
- 4 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 fresh Thai Red Chillies chopped
- 4 tbsp coriander
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 pinch ground white pepper
- Cook the rice to the packets instructions and leave to cool.
- Beat the eggs and combine the egg and one-half of the soy sauce into a bowl and mix it to a uniform consistency.
- Place the oil into a very hot wok. Add the egg mixture and stir until it is cooked. Now move it to the side of the wok.
- Next, add more oil to the wok. Add the onion, mix everything together well and then add the garlic, the chilli and stir again.
- Add a touch more oil and add in the cold rice.
- Add the tomato, the soy sauce, and the fish sauce to the wok. Stir it all together well.
- Just before serving, stir in the chopped coriander making sure it is distributed evenly throughout the rice.
- Spoon your Thai fried rice into a serving bowl.
- Next, garnish it with slices of cucumber and a piece of lime. The lime can be squeezed over top of the rice to give it an added tangy flavour.
- You can easily add shrimp, chicken, pork or beef to this dish.