Thai Sweet and Spicy Shrimp is a easy recipe I found in my mums old cookbook. This is a recipe that only takes minutes to cook once it has had time to marinade. However, I often prep the marinade the night before so the shrimp full absorb the flavours. Obviously, you can substitute other seafood such as prawns or even lobster for the shrimp. This can be served as a side dish or as a main dish depending on how greedy you feel. Serve with freshly cooked rice or Thai Chicken and Rice with Sesame Lime Chicken for a filling comforting meal.
Thai Sweet and Spicy Shrimp
- Combine the water, brown sugar, and fish sauce in a large saucepan and bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the garlic, cilantro stems, and white peppercorns and bring to a boil over moderate heat.
- Boil until the sauce is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cook, stirring constantly, until the shrimp are opaque and just cooked through, no more than 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Chill in the refrigerator for up to 1 hour, tossing the shrimp in the sauce once or twice.
- Drain with a slotted spoon and serve garnished with sprigs of cilantro and plenty of napkins so the diners can peel the shrimp with their fingers.