A simple but tasty dessert that is hot regardless of the time of year. When you have friends round for dinner and everything has gone well so far. Serving Strawberry Shortcake as a dessert quite literally finishes the meal with style. This is a dessert that my grandchildren love to help make and each one is unique!! Following the cooking instructions, you will end up with perfectly soft and texture full shortcake. I normally use whipped cream but you can use double cream and whip it until it maintains soft peaks. This is one of my favourite desserts especially as I don’t normally have one.
- Toss the strawberries with 1 cup (250 ml) sugar in a bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- In a separate bowl combine the 2 tablespoons sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Blend in the butter.
- Add the milk and vanilla and mix well. Grease two 8-inch (20 cm) round cake pans and divide the batter between them.
- Bake in a preheated 450F (230C) oven for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool.
- Place one cake upside-down on a serving platter and top with half the strawberries.
- Top with the remaining cake layer and the rest of the strawberries.
- Serve garnished with whipped cream.