Shrimp Paste is an old recipe that always hits the spot. Served with toast normally at breakfast for a healthy start to the day or in a sandwich for a lovely snack. In many ways, this is a pate. This is a simple method of an old recipe. However, Shrimp Paste, with its many different recipes are used across the world especially in Asian countries. Also it is mainly used as a seasoning to flavour dishes. In Asian countries, the shrimp and krill are crushed with salt and left to ferment for several weeks. Also, the paste can be used in Shrimp
Pad Thai and Pork Satay.
- Drop the shrimp into boiling salted water and cook uncovered for 3 minutes, until they are firm and pink.
- Drain and pat completely dry with paper towels.
- In a food processor or meat grinder chop until they form a smooth paste.
- Beat the butter with a wooden spoon in a deep bowl until it is light and fluffy.
- Combine all the ingredients except the ground shrimp and mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- Add the shrimp and continue mixing until the mixture is smooth.
- Transfer the shrimp paste to a serving bowl and smooth the surface with a spatula or the back of a spoon.
- Cover with foil or plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, until the paste is firm.
- Serve the paste directly from the bowl.