Here’s a favourite Southern meal: Homemade mashed potatoes, turnip greens, and meat loaf. Try to have about twice as much greens as potatoes and meat loaf!
Hearty Meat Loaf
Here's a favourite Southern meal: Homemade mashed potatoes, turnip greens, and meat loaf. Try to have about twice as much greens as potatoes and meat loaf!Print Facebook Pinterest Twitter Add to CollectionCollections
Servings: 6 people
- 1/2 cup low-fat low-sodium beef broth
- 2 slices whole-wheat bread finely crumbled
- 1 lb extra-lean ground beef
- 2 medium eggs beaten slightly
- 1/2 cup onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery finely chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots grated
- 2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 Tbs catsup
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 8- by 8-inch baking pan with foil.
- Heat the broth in a large saucepan. Add all ingredients except the catsup and pepper and blend well with a fork.
- Add the mixture to the baking pan and pat it quickly into the shape of the pan. Sprinkle with pepper and spread the catsup on top. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake, uncovered, for another 30 minutes.
Sodium: 381mg | Sugar: 3g | Fiber: 1g | Potassium: 358mg | Cholesterol: 67mg | Calories: 210kcal | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.4g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Fat: 12g | Protein: 20g | Carbohydrates: 5g