Tiramisu is such a delicate dessert that I always leave space for it. I prepare them in advance and always make extra for “chefs testing” purposes. The delicate textures of the eggs, mascarpone with layers of infused sponge fingers makes this hard to beat. Then to have the brandy infusion and chocolate on top is the perfect finishing touch.
- Put the kettle on and make the coffee as this needs to cool before making the dessert.
- Place the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl.
- Using a hand mixer whisk until pale and light.
- Whisk in the mascarpone cheese until thoroughly combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until it forms stiff peaks.
- When complete, gently form the egg whites into the egg yolk, sugar and mascarpone mixture.
- In a wide bowl/dish, pour the brandy, coffee and the coffee liqueur and mix.
- Soak the sponge finger in the brandy and coffee mix for a few seconds. You want to have them absorb the liquid but not get soggy.
- Place the six glasses on a flat surface. Divide half of the fingers into the bases of the glasses, pressing down lightly.
- Using a large spoon, spread half of the egg, mascarpone and sugar over the fingers in the glasses. try to make the surface smooth using the back of a spoon.
- Now add the remainder of the sponge fingers in the same way as the base.
- Guess what, add the reminder of the egg, sugar and mascarpone mix making the top lovely and smooth.
- Place in the fridge until needed.
- When ready to serve, finely grate the chocolate over the top.