Saffron Rice is such a simple recipe that transforms dishes for good to amazing. The subtle flavour yet vibrant colour brings dishes to life. I use chicken stock in this recipe for additional flavour. Using cardamom, cinnamon and cloves adds a far eastern element but is purely optional. A few prawns, sweet peppers and peas makes a superb filling dish the whole family loves. Naturally, this is a side dish but also part of a main dish such as Saffron Risotto
- In a heavy pan, melt the ghee and add the thinly sliced onions.
- Remove the seeds from the cardamom pods.
- Add the saffron, cinnamon, cardamoms and cloves to the onion and cook gentle for about 4 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir well making sure everything is thoroughly mixed.
- Add the chicken stock and salt.
- Only stir the rice when you have added the chicken stock and not after.
- Reduce the heat to low so the mixture simmers.
- Cover with a lid and cook for around 12 – 15 minutes or until all of the chicken stock has been absorbed.
- Turn off the heat and leave to stand for 5 minutes to quite literally relax.
- Serve as part of a bigger meal.