Saffron Risotto is one of things in life that has to be tasted to fully understand simplicity. There are only 6 main ingredients in this recipe yet they combine and amplify the other ingredients so well. This dish will always impress your friends and family every time for all the right reasons. I serve this with Asparagus Salad – Asparagi in Insalata or Braised Peas with Prosciutto. Both of these go so well with the risotto but if you are looking for a side dish to help remove every grain of rice for the dish then it has to be Bravo Green Beans.
- Combine the chicken stock and saffron in a saucepan over moderate heat and bring to a simmer.
- Heat the olive oil in a separate pot over moderate heat.
- Add the onion and cook until tender but not brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes.
- Add the wine and simmer over low heat until most of the wine is absorbed.
- Add the chicken broth about 3/4 cup (180 ml) at a time, allowing most of the liquid to be absorbed before adding more, and stirring frequently as it cooks.
- When most of the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is cooked "al dente," about 20 minutes, remove from the heat and stir in the butter and Parmesan cheese.
- Serve immediately.