Homemade Pumpkin Pie is a cinch to bake and very very tasty. Ideal for traditional festivities such as Thanksgiving and Christmas. However it can be frozen for another day which is always a bonus. Making it even easier, I use a shop brought pie crust in a baking tray!! homemade Pumpkin Pie can be made a few days in advance. Served as a dessert or as a snack or both.
Homemade Pumpkin Pie
- 2 cups pumpkin pulp purée canned in ok
- 1 large pie crust chilled or frozen, 12 inch
- 12 oz evaporated milk 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 large free range eggs 2 whole plus yolk of third
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat your oven to 425°F
- Add the free range eggs into a large bowl together with the sugar, salt, ginger, nutmeg, cardamom, lemon zest and cinnamon. Combine thoroughly ensuring the eggs are beaten well.
- Add the pumpkin puree with the evaporated milk and beat everything together until totally mixed.
- When happy with the mixture, carefully pour into the pie shell.
- Add to the oven and bake at 425°F for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, lower the temperature to 350°F an bale for a further 50 minutes or so.
- Check the pie is cooked by inserting a knife into the centre of the pie and it should comes out virtually clean. You need some stickiness for that added experience.
- When cooked, place on a wire rack to cool as it will be piping hot.
- I like to serve mine with whipped cream or ice cream whilst still warm.