Indian Beef Vindaloo is a dish with a bad reputation that It does not deserve. When made correctly, this is a divine Goan curry that will not dissolve your taste buds. Vindaloo literally means meat in garlic wine marinade. The four “C’s” always work together, Coriander, Cardamom, Cinnamon and Cayenne. This is a perfect main dish served with piping hot fluffy basmati rice and a warm piece of pitta bread. Also, served with sour cream will help those who find it a little too hot. Overall, Indian Beef Vindaloo is one of those dishes you really must experience. The flavours blend so well together and create a meal that you will want to cook again.
Indian Beef Vindaloo
- 2 lbs beef stew meat 675-900 g, 1" chunks
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger 15 ml
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon 15 ml
- 1 tsp mustard seeds 5 ml
- 1 tsp ground cardamom 5 ml
- 1 tsp ground coriander 5 ml
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or to taste, 2 ml
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar 125 ml
- 2 tbsp mustard oil 30 ml
- 1 bunch cilantro garnish
- 1 pinch Salt to taste
- 1 pinch ground pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over moderate heat and add all the ingredients except for the beef, vinegar, and cilantro.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture becomes fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the beef and vinegar and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer covered until the beef is tender, about 90 minutes, adding a little water to the pot of it becomes dry.
- Adjust the seasonings and serve garnished with chopped cilantro/coriander.