Lamb Pie - Italian Recipe
Superb pie that is a family favouritePrint Facebook Pinterest Twitter Add to CollectionCollections
Servings: 6 people
- 1.6 kg boneless lamb shoulder cut into chunks,
- 450 g roasted red peppers drained and sliced if not done already
- 100 g green olives pitted,
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 1 large egg free range, beaten
- 1 whole garlic bulb cut in half
- 400 ml white wine good quailty drinking wine
- 1 large onion peeled and finely sliced
- 3 leaves bay
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley finely chopped
- 8 - 10 sprigs thyme
- 500 g shortcrust pastry premade
- Plain Flour
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 140°C
- Season the chunks of lamb and dust with a little flour.
- Heat a little oil in a large frying pan and brown the lamb in batches.
- Put the lamb into a casserole dish.
- Add another 1 tbsp of oil to the frying pan. Fry the onion until soften and add it to the casserole dish with the garlic and wine.
- Set it on the hob and bring to the boil and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock and herbs and cover the dish and put in the oven,
- Cook for 2 hours, or until the lamb is tender.
- Remove the lamb and set aside in a large pie dish.
- Remove the thyme, bay leaves and garlic as these have now done their job.
- Put the casserole over a high heat and simmer the juices, until glossy. Pour over the lamb; set aside to cool.
- Stir in the peppers, olives and parsley.
- Turn the oven up to 200°C.
- Lightly flour a clean surface and roll out the pastry until about 5mm.
- Brush the rim of the pie dish with beaten egg and cover with the pastry lid.
- Remove any excess pastry from the dish and make a good seal.
- Cut a small steam hole in the centre.
- Brush the top of the pie with beaten egg,
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until golden. depending on your oven.
- Serve with fresh seasonal greens
Sodium: 1400mg | Sugar: 3g | Fiber: 3g | Potassium: 822mg | Cholesterol: 280mg | Calories: 1316kcal | Monounsaturated Fat: 31g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 28g | Fat: 89g | Protein: 69g | Carbohydrates: 46g