A Lemon and Lime Sponge has to be one of my favourite cakes. Soft, fresh so refreshing and so easy to bake. The flavours of the Lemon and Lime consume so well to give the sponge a lovely flavour and soft fruity aroma.
Lemon and Lime Sponge
- Combine the sugar, flour, and salt in a mixing bowl and stir in the juices, zest, egg yolks, milk, and butter.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold into the lemon mixture and pour into a greased 6-cup (1.5 L) bowl or soufflé dish.
- Place in the slow cooker and add enough water to come 1 inch (3 cm) up the side of the bowl.
- Cover and cook on high heat for 2 to 3 hours, until the top is light and fluffy and set.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.