A flavoursome mushroom risotto recipe is a delicious classic that never fails to impress.
Mushroom Risotto - Risotto ai Funghi
Making a tasty risotto is easier than you think. Using mushrooms add a unique flavour and extra body to a classic recipe.Print Facebook Pinterest Twitter Add to CollectionCollections
Servings: 4 people
- 1 ounce dried mushrooms 30 g
- 2 cups chicken stock 500 ml
- 2 tbsp shallots finely chopped, 30 ml
- 4 tbsp butter 60 ml
- 3 tbsp olive oil 45 ml
- 2 cups uncooked Italian Arborio rice 500 ml
- 1/2 cup dry white wine 125 ml, optional
- 1/4 cup Freshly grated Parmesan cheese 60 ml
- 1 pinch Salt to taste
- 1 pinch ground pepper to taste
- Soak mushrooms in 2 cups warm water for at least 30 minutes, until the mushrooms are soft.
- Remove from the water and chop coarsely.
- Strain the water through a coffee filter and combine it with the 2 cups of chicken stock in a saucepan.
- Bring this mixture to a simmer over medium heat.
- In a heavy 2 Litre pot over medium heat sauté the shallots in 2 tbsp of butter and 3 tbsp olive oil until translucent but not brown.
- Add the rice, stir to thoroughly coat with the oil and butter, and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the wine or 1/2 cup of the simmering stock, stirring frequently.
- When the liquid is almost completely absorbed add another 1/2 cup stock, and repeat this process for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the mushrooms and continue adding stock as it becomes absorbed for another 5 to 10 minutes, until the rice is done.
- You may have some stock left over; do not feel compelled to use it all, as this will make the risotto too runny.
- Test the rice for doneness by tasting it; it should be "al dente" (soft but still firm to the tooth) and the risotto should be creamy at this stage.
- When the rice is cooked remove the pot from the heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese and the remaining 2 tbsp of butter.
- Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary.
Sodium: 676mg | Sugar: 1g | Fiber: 2g | Potassium: 94mg | Cholesterol: 57mg | Calories: 775kcal | Monounsaturated Fat: 13g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Fat: 30g | Protein: 21g | Carbohydrates: 98g