A superb way of using up any left over leeks. This German salad is simple to prepare but the kick of mustard, cider vinegar and horseradish makes this a superb vegetarian side dish. German Leek Salad – Lauchsalat is a dish on its own and served with bread is a main dish.
German Leek Salad – Lauchsalat
- Place the leeks in a large skillet or baking dish and add enough water to cover them.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to low and simmer covered until tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Drain the leeks on paper towels and arrange on a serving dish.
- Combine about 1/4 cup (60 ml) of the cooking liquid with the remaining ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Pour the sauce over the leeks and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Serve chilled.