A Blini is a simple Russian pancake that is an excellant basis of starters and canapes. They are smaller than normal pancakes but are best served with sour cream, smoked salmon, caviar or even syrup. To really enjoy Blinis, the must be served hot. While the recipe includes buckwheat it can be substituted for the same quantity of all purpose flour.
- Dissolve the yeast in about 1/4 cup (60 ml) warm milk in a large mixing bowl and allow to proof for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining milk, butter, and egg yolks.
- Sift the flour, sugar, and salt together and stir into the yeast mixture until smooth.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into the batter.
- Cover the bowl with a dish towel and allow to sit at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Fry in batches in a lightly greased skillet or griddle, forming pancakes about 3 inches (7 cm) in diameter, until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve immediately.