Chicken Avocado Melt is one of my favourite sandwiches. It does take a little time to prepare but is so worth it. The moist coated chicken with warm avocado and melted cheese is a thing of beauty. This is popular with my children and their friends and often requested for weekend brunches.
Chicken Avocado Melt
- 6 large chicken breast skinless and boneless
- 3 tbsp cornstarch 45 ml, cornflour
- 2 tsp ground cumin 10 ml
- 2 tsp garlic powder 10 ml
- Salt to taste
- ground pepper to taste
- 1 large egg 15 ml, beaten with 1tbsp of cold water
- 1/2 cup cornmeal 125 ml
- 3 tbsp butter 45 ml
- 1 large ripe avocado peeled and sliced
- 2 cups Monterey Jack Cheese shredded
- 2 tbsp sour cream garnish
- 2 large scallions chopped
- Using a meat mallet or the bottom of a small heavy saucepan, flatten the chicken breast halves to a thickness of about 1/4 inch (5 mm).
- Combine the cornstarch, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- Dredge the chicken in the cornstarch mixture, then in the egg mixture, then in the cornmeal.
- Heat the butter in a skillet over moderate heat and brown the chicken lightly on both sides.
- Place the chicken in a shallow baking dish and top with the avocado slices and cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 350F (180C) oven for 15 minutes, until the chicken is done and the cheese has melted.
- Serve garnished with a dollop of sour cream and chopped scallions.