This Reuben casserole is made with all of the ingredients and flavours you’d find in a Reuben sandwich. In casserole form, the corned beef, sauerkraut, and cheese are layered with Thousand Island dressing. Then the dish is topped with buttered rye bread crumbs. This creates a meaty soft base, cheesy gooey middle and a crunchy top. Does that sound perfect or what? However, I normally serve this with a light lettuce salad or homemade garlic bread for a full meal. Also, the Casserole as the main dish is always enough even for the hungriest of guests without a complaint of “I’m still hungry”.
- Line the bottom of a buttered 11x17-inch (28x43 cm) baking dish with 3 slices of the bread, trimming as necessary.
- Spread with half the Russian dressing and top with half the corned beef, sauerkraut, and cheese.
- Repeat to form 2 layers.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, and mustard and pour over the casserole.
- Let stand for 30 minutes before baking in a preheated 350F (180C) oven until golden brown and set in the center, about 40 minutes.
- You can use Russian Dressing instead of Thousand Island.