Budget Sausage Bolognese is a lovely tasty budget meal that’s full of flavour, colour and very filling. This main dish for 4 people uses mainly store cupboard ingredients that are cheap and simple to cook with. I do like to use good sausages as it brings the whole dish together. However the red wine can be substituted with water or chicken stock.
Budget Sausage Bolognese
- Carefully slice along the sides of the sausage and remove the sausage meat. Discard the skins.
- Add the sausage meat to a frying pan over a medium high heat and cook for about 10 minutes breaking up any chunks with a wooden spatula. The saysage meat should be lightly browned.
- Add the tsp of chilli flakes and stir into the meat.
- Add the tomatoes, puree, red wine and dried oregano and stir thoroughly.
- Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer for about another 10 minutes. Stir frequently until the sauce has thickened.
- Fill a large saucepan with water and place over a high heat until it boils. Add a good pinch of salt and then the pasta. Cook according to the packet instructions.
- Once the pasta has cooked and has a lovely bite to it, drain into a colander over a sink. RETAIN a mug of the pasta water to thin the sauce if needed.
- Return the pasta to the pan. Add a knob of butter or a little olive oil and then add the spinach. Add the lid and allow to keep warm and steam the spinach at the same time.
- Serve the pasta and spinach into warmed bowls and top with the sausage Bolognese sauce. Grate parmesan on top and enjoy.