Perfect Pancakes is such a simple recipe with only five ingredients, eggs, milk, flour, salt and oil. However, when combined creates a lovely batter than produces amazing pancakes. When topped with a vast array of toppings and fillings from jams/preserves to fruit and sauces. I serve these as a main dish and as a snack but all year round, not just Shrove Tuesday.
- Pour the milk into a bowl and add the eggs. Gently whisk the mixture to incorporate.
- Pour the flour into a larger bowl and add the salt. Make a little hole in the middle and add the egg/milk mixture.
- Whisk the mixture together until you achieve a smooth batter.
- Add the 1 tbsp of vegetable oil and whisk to incorporate.
- Dip a piece of kitchen paper into the frying oil and gently wipe a frying pan.
- Place the oiled large frying pan over a medium heat and allow to warm up.
- I use a ladle for the next bit.
- Add about a ladles worth of batter to the pan and immediately swirl it around so that it forms a nice even layer.
- Cook the pancake for about 30 seconds using a spatula to check whether it is a lovely golden brown. If browned, flip the pancake over.
- Cook the underside for a further 30 – 40 seconds before serving.
- Serve on a warmed plate with your choice of filling/toppings.
- I will admit, I love a small spponful of sugar with orange segments. The citrus and the sweet work perfectly.