Sausage Plait is a dish that has been a life saver. When times are hard, this works as a main dish, side dish and a substantial snack. This is so easy to make and so cheap it fills tummies and doesn’t hit the purse. Using Sausage meat, onion and apple are all readily available. Slicing the puff pastry into strips creates a lovely display of what’s to come.
- Peel and slice the onion.
- Gently fry in a little oil (or butter) and a pinch of salt and the dark brown sugar.
- Allow the cooked onion to cool
- Peel, core and slice ½ an eating apple
- Roll out the pastry in an oblong to fit an oblong baking try.
- Place a sheet of grease proof paper on the baking tray (avoid pastry sticking)
- Press the sausage meat into an oblong shape and place down the centre of the puff pastry, leaving enough pastry either side to wrap up and over the sausage meat
- Spread a teaspoon of made English mustard over the sausage meat
- Place the onion slices, once cooled on top of the mustard and then place the apple slices on top of the onion.
- Make diagonal cuts in the pastry either side of the sausage meat.
- Brush beaten egg along the sides to help them stick and plait the pastry over the sausage meat
- Bake in oven Gas 6 – 7 / 200 C for approx. 30 mins