Macaroni Cheese is a simple dish that is easy, filling and tasty. Using Macaroni as the base with a lovely thick cheese sauce makes this a gorgeous main dish and side dish. I use three cheeses, mature cheddar, parmesan and gruyere for so much flavour with little effort.
- Large pans
- Bring a pot of salted water to the boil and cook the pasta according to the instructions.
- When cooked, pour into a colander and run under cold water to stop them cooking.
- Pour a little olive oil over the pasta to prevent it from sticking.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/ 350ºF/ Gas mark 4.
- Place a pan over a high heat adding a little oil. Add the mushrooms and the butter and fry until the mushrooms are lovely and brown.
- Using a separate pan over a medium heat add the remaining butter until it melts and add the flour.
- Cook for a minute or so and then gradually add the milk and continually stir.
- Once all the milk has been added and the sauce has come to a boil, turn off the heat and add the Cheddar and/or Gruyère and allow it to melt into the sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Taste the cheese sauce and add extra cheese or seasoning if required.
- In the same pan, add the uncooked thinly sliced leeks, cooked mushrooms and the pasta to the cheese sauce.
- When fully mixed together, pour the mixture into an oven proof dish.
- I like to add either grated Gruyère or Parmesan to the top of the mixture prior to cooking. It creates a lovely thin crust.
- Place in the middle of the oven and cook for 30–35 minutes until cooked through and golden brown.
- Serve on warmed dishes with hot garlic bread for a superb filling meal.