Almond Cake - Torta di Mandorle
- Combine the almonds, flour, baking powder, and salt in an electric food processor and process until the almonds are finely chopped. I often retain ahandful of almonds to sprinkle on top as the cake goes in the overn.
- Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks and beat until thoroughly combined.
- Add the butter mixture to the almond mixture and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
- Beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks and fold into the batter with a rubber spatula.
- Smear the batter into a greased and floured 9-inch (23 cm) spring form pan and bake in a preheated 350F (180C) oven until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Add the reserved almonds liberally on top.
- Cool on a wire before removing from the pan.