Vegetable Stew – Guiso de Verduras is a superb Italian recipe for those cold evenings. The warmth of the stew comes from the red, green peppers and pepper flakes. This stew will make you look forward to the autumn and winter. The body of this stew originates from the sweet potatoes, red potatoes, zucchini (Courgettes) and the yellow squash. These vegetables bring the body to the stew but also absorb the flavours of the herbs and spices. Having sweetcorn adds a crunch whilst the lime juice gives a lovely little kick. However, this is a family favourite regardless of the time of year.
Vegetable Stew - Guiso de Verduras
- 2 large onions peeled and sliced
- 1 large sweet red pepper chopped
- 1 large sweet green pepper chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes or to taste
- 2 small red potatoes diced
- 1 small sweet potato diced
- 2 cups green beans sliced
- 1 large zucchini sliced, courgettes
- 1 large yellow squash sliced
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cup corn kernals 2.5 cm
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 cup coriander parsley
- Combine the onion, red and green peppers, garlic and broth and bring to a boil in a large pot.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the spices, red potatoes and sweet potato, cover and simmer 10 minutes more, adding more broth or water if needed.
- Add the green beans, cook 5 minutes more.
- Add the zucchini, yellow squash, black beans, corn and lime juice.
- Reduce the heat and simmer 5 minutes, or until all the vegetables are tender.
- Garnish with cilantro or parsley.