This is an easy dish that makes use of all of the prawns. Simple Prawn Spaghetti uses the flesh, shells and oils of the prawns to create a superb main dish. Just keep the oil in the fridge. I find Spaghetti absorbs the oil best. However every pasta works well, choose your favourite. This is an ideal dish for those who enjoy healthy eating in a rush. Start to finish within 25 minutes and that includes cooking the pasta.
Simple Prawn Spaghetti
- The first bit is the tricky bit. Deshell and remove the heads but keep as you will be needing them later.
- Carefully slice along the outer length of the prawn and remove the thin dark vein which is visible.
- Add 2 teaspoons of olive oil to a pan over a medium heat and fry the prawn heads and shells. The natural oils from the shell and heads will be released.
- Add the chopped plum tomato with the fennel and olive oil to the pan and bring to a simmer for about 5 minutes. When fully mixed, remove from the heat and pour through a sieve into a warmed bowl. I use the back of a ladle to push the goodness through the sieve. You don’t want the shell to go through the sieve.
- Place a pan of water over a high heat and bring to the boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the instructions.
- When the pasta is cooked, drizzle a little of the prawn oil you have just made over the pasta and mix. It will add a lovely flavour to the pasta.
- In a frying pan, add a little oil over a medium heat. when hot, add the prawns and fry gently until cooked. Normally about minutes.
- In a large pre warmed serving dish, add the pasta and the prawns together with the tarragon and chives and parsley.
- Serve immediately while piping hot.
- I finely slice red chilli and place in a small bowl for hose who like the extra kick.