Beef Casserole with Walnuts
One of my favourite casseroles ever. The walnut pieces raise it to a new high.Print Facebook Pinterest Twitter Add to CollectionCollections
Servings: 6 people
- 3 tbsp butter 45 ml
- 1 1/2 - 2 lbs beef stew meat 675-900 g
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour 15 ml
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock 375 ml
- 1/4 cup red wine 60 ml, optional
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 whole bay leaf laurel
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme 2 ml
- 2 ribs celery thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces 125 ml
- 1 tbsp Orange zest 15 ml, grated
- salt to taste
- ground pepper to taste
- Heat 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of the butter in an ovenproof pot with a lid over moderate heat and brown the beef.
- Transfer the beef to a plate and saute the onions in the remaining fat until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the meat to the pot along with the beef stock, optional wine, garlic, and seasonings.
- Cover tightly and bake in a preheated 325F (165C) oven for 2 hours.
- Shortly before serving heat the remaining tablespoon (15 ml) of butter in a skillet over moderate heat and saute the celery and walnuts for about 3 minutes.
- Scatter the celery mixture and orange zest over the meat before serving.
Calories: 546kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 41g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 120mg | Sodium: 764mg | Potassium: 294mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g