Braised Lettuce with Peas and Lemon is a recipe I would never have looked at until a friend served it. The ingredients are simple but the flavour are insane. The lettuce is braised in chicken broth giving it intense flavour very quickly and so simply. When you add the peas and lemon zest, it goes to an entire new level. This is ideal as a side dish and goes remarkably well with Dover Sole Meuniere, Poached Salmon and Foil Baked Fish. I have also served these with chicken breast that has been poached in the chicken broth for added flavour.
Braised Lettuce with Peas and Lemon
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over moderate heat.
- Saute the shallots until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the lettuce, chicken broth. thyme, and sugar and simmer covered over low heat for about 5 minutes, until the lettuce is tender.
- Add the peas and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the lemon zest, salt, and pepper.
- Serve immediately.