Chicken and Artichoke Casserole is a lovely Italian main dish recipe that gives taste, aroma, appearance and satisfaction. Also, with the toasted almonds give a subtle background flavour that everybody detects but without overpowering another element. Any dish that includes white wine, heavy cream, bacon and stock is going to be a dish full of flavour. I normally serve this main dish with a bowl of hot fluffy rice. The rice helps to soak up the sauce and extends a meal for 4 into a meal for 8 without trying. This is a dish that would in my top ten for flavour.
Chicken and Artichoke Casserole
- 6 large chicken breast boneless and skinless
- 1 pinch Salt to taste
- 4 tbsp butter 60 ml
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 tbsp paprika 15 ml
- 4 tbsp all-purpose flour 60 ml
- 1 cup white wine 250 ml
- 3/4 cup heavy cream 180 ml
- 1/2 cup chicken stock 125 ml
- 15 oz artichoke hearts drained, 425 g
- 6 slices bacon fried
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds toasted
- 1 pinch ground pepper to taste
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over moderate heat and brown the chicken on both sides.
- Transfer the chicken breasts to as greased baking dish big enough to hold them in a single layer.
- Sauté the onion and paprika in the butter remaining in the skillet until tender but not brown, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the wine, chicken stock, and cream and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Add the drained artichoke hearts to the baking dish and top with the sauce.
- Bake covered in a preheated 350F (180C) oven for 1 hour.
- Garnish with the bacon and toasted almonds.