This may seem a strange combination but Braised Chicken with Kumquats works so well. The sweetness of the kumquats goes so well with the braised chicken. I serve this main dish simply with a bowl of rice for a lovely filling meal. The chicken is braised in a fluid using orange and lemon juice together with the honey. The mixture adds such a deep flavour to the chicken whilst keeping the moisture. Other excellent braising recipes include Braised Pork with Mushrooms and Butterbeans and Braised Short Ribs. Also one of my favourite recipes includes Osso Buco, a classic veal based dish.
Braised Chicken with Kumquats
- Wash the chicken and pat completely dry with paper towels.
- Sprinkle liberally with salt and place in a baking dish large enough to hold them in a single layer.
- Mix the orange juice, lemon juice, and honey together and pour it over the chicken, turning the chicken pieces over to moisten thoroughly.
- Turn the chicken pieces skin side down in the pan and sprinkle with the cayenne.
- Bake uncovered in a preheated 350F (180C) oven for 15 minutes.
- Turn the chicken pieces over and add the kumquats.
- Baste with the liquid, and bake 30 minutes longer, basting occasionally.
- Cook until the chicken is done and the leg or thigh meat offers no resistance to a fork.
- Arrange the chicken and kumquats on a serving platter or individual plates and sprinkle with the cilantro or parsley.
- Garnish with the lemon and orange slices.