Chicken Fried Steak without the chicken. Don’t worry this confused me as well. The name arose as you do the same procedure when deep frying chicken. Anyway this recipe produces a lovely juicy tenderised battered steak with gravy – what more could you want.
Chicken Fried Steak
For the meat
- Beat the egg and milk together in a small bowl.
- Dip the steak into the egg mixture and coat with flour on both sides.
- Heat the butter and oil in a skillet over moderate heat and fry the steak until golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes per side.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
- For the gravy, remove the steak from the skillet and set aside.
- Stir the flour into the drippings in the pan and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the milk, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Spoon the gravy over the steak and serve immediately.