German-Style Pot Roast
A simple slow cooked pot roast that has become a winter favourite.Print Facebook Pinterest Twitter Add to CollectionCollections
Servings: 6 people
- 2 lb boneless beef chuck roast 675-900 g
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 2 large onions chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 whole bay leaves laurel
- 3/4 cup dill pickles 180 ml chopped
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef stock 125 ml
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil 15 ml
- 1/3 cup German-style mustard 80 ml
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves 1 ml
- 1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 15 ml, cornflour
- 2 tbsp dry red wine or beef stock 30 ml
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat and brown the roast on all sides.
- Place the carrots, onions, celery, bay leaves, and pickles in the slow cooker.
- Place the roast on the vegetables.
- In a small bowl mix together the wine, mustard, cloves, salt, and pepper, and pour over the meat.
- Cook covered on high heat for 4 to 5 hours, or on low heat for 8 to 10 hours.
- Prior to serving, remove the meat and vegetables to a warm platter with a slotted spoon.
- To make the gravy, pour the remaining liquid into a small saucepan and skim off and discard the fat.
- Stir in the cornstarch mixture and bring to a boil over moderate heat, stirring constantly.
Calories: 501kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 36g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 115mg | Sodium: 6874mg | Potassium: 125mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g