- 3 lbs chicken pieces 1.5 kg
- 2 tbsp soy sauce 30 ml
- 1 large lemon finely chopped zest only
- 1/3 cup lemon juice 80 ml
- 1 cup water 250 ml
- 1 tbsp sugar 15 ml
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger 15 ml
- 1 tsp sesame oil 5 ml
- 1 tsp cornstarch mixed with 5 ml, cornflour
- 1 tbsp water 15 ml
- slices chopped scallions (spring onions) for garnish
- onions) for garnish
- Rub the chicken pieces with 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of the soy sauce and set aside.
- Combine the remaining tablespoon of soy sauce, lemon zest, lemon juice, water, and sugar in a small bowl, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Heat the sesame oil in a wok or large, heavy skillet over high heat.
- Brown the chicken pieces on all sides. Add the ginger and cook for 1 minutes.
- Add the lemon mixture and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to very low and simmer the chicken covered for 20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken to a warm platter and add the cornflour mixture to the pan.
- Stir the mixture until it boils and has thickened.
- Spoon over the chicken pieces and garnish with lemon slices and chopped scallions.