Moussaka is an eggplant dish, often including ground meat, in the Balkans, with many different varieties. The dish is layered with aubergine/eggplant and typically served hot with a simple green salad for a superb meal. It has a lovely thick creamy sauce and the melted parmesan top is to die for. This is similar in many ways to Lasagna but without the pasta…..
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs ground lamb 750 g
- 1/2 cup onion 125 ml, chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine or water 125 ml
- 3 tbsp tomato paste 45 ml
- 2 tbsp parsley 30 ml, chopped
- ground black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- 3 lbs eggplant 1.5 Kg, aubergine
- 6 tbsp olive oil 60 to 90 ml
- 1 cup bread crumbs 250 ml
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese 125 ml, grated
- 3 tbsp melted butter 45 ml
- Heat the 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over moderate heat.
- Add the chopped meat and onion and brown, stirring frequently to crumble the meat.
- Add the wine or water, tomato paste, parsley, salt, and pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer covered for 30 minutes, until most of the liquid has been reduced.
- Meanwhile, cut the eggplant into slices 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick and arrange on baking sheets.
- Brush both sides with olive oil and bake in a preheated 350F (180C) oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until the eggplant is tender.
- Arrange half the eggplant slices in the bottom of a medium-sized baking dish.
- Sprinkle with half the bread crumbs.
- Spread the meat mixture over the eggplant, followed by half the Parmesan.
- For the Béchamel Sauce: Melt the butter in a saucepan over moderate heat. Stir in the flour and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until it has lost the floury aroma. Do not allow to brown. Add the milk and stir, making sure to dissolve any lumps that have formed. Heat, stirring frequently, until the sauce boils and becomes thick. Add the salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Add another layer of eggplant, followed by the béchamel.
- Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan and bread crumbs on top, and drizzle with the melted butter. Bake in a preheated 350F (180C) oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until the top is lightly browned