Oven Baked Tomatoes in Garlic and Oil is a simple recipe that packs the flavour punch. Used as a dip, side dish, sauce or as an accompaniment to snacks it adds to every dish. This is also gluten free recipe. This recipe has only 5 ingredients but they combine to make a dish that is nothing but excellent. Any dish that has tomatoes, garlic and olive oil in is is going to be good.
Oven Baked Tomatoes in Garlic and Oil
- Preheat the oven to 120°C, fan 100°C, gas about ½.
- Line a large baking sheet with baking/parchment paper.
- Halve the tomatoes. I normally slice from the top to the bottom as they stay more intact.
- Slice the garlic into fine slices.
- Place the tomatoes into a mixing bowl with the now sliced garlic and the thyme. Add 3 tablespoons of the oil and season with sea salt and pepper.
- Toss gently to coat, then arrange the tomatoes, cut-side up, on the lined baking sheets. Sprinkle over any garlic and thyme left in the bowl for added flavour. Don’t want to leave any behind.
- Place the tray on the middle shelf of the oven for 3 – 3½ hours or until they have reduced in size a lot.
- Try one and they should be fry to the touch but still juicy in the middle.
- Place the still warm tomatoes into sterilised Kilner jars and add about half a teaspoon of sherry vinegar into each jat.
- Gently heat the garlic and thyme oil and pour it over the tomatoes.
- Make sure the tomatoes are completely covered.
- Seal the jars and store in a cool dry place for at least a few days before using.
- These are gorgeous with cheese and a glass of port. (the sherry wine blends superbly)