Okra is a most underused vegetable in many parts of the world but when cooked properly is an excellent additive to a recipe.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil 30 ml
- 2 medium onions peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp garam masala 30 ml, see below
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger 15 ml
- 2 large tomatoes chopped
- 1 lb okra trimmed and cut into 1 inch (2 cm) pieces, 500 g
- 2 large green bell peppers cored, seeded, and chopped
- 1/4 cup water 60 ml
- Salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy skillet over moderate heat.
- Sauté the onions, stirring frequently, until light golden brown.
- Add the garum masala, garlic, ginger, salt, and cayenne pepper.
- Sauté for another 2 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Add the tomatoes, okra, bell peppers, and water.
- Cover, reduce the heat, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, until the okra is tender.