Chicken and Winter Vegetable Casserole is a winter warming recipe that my family love. Served as a main dish on its own or with rice suitable for the hungriest of people. The combination of chicken, chicken stock and soft vegetables makes this ideal with soft bread to mop up.
Chicken and Winter Vegetable Casserole
- 2 tbsp olive oil 30 ml
- 2 lbs chicken pieces 900 g
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 large Leeks chopped
- 3 large carrots chopped
- 1 large suede chopped,
- 1 cup lentils 250 ml
- 2 cups chicken stock 500 ml
- 1 cup apple juice 250 ml
- 2 tsp cornstarch mixed with 10 ml, cornflour
- 2 tbsp cold water 30 ml
- 3 tbsp creme fraiche 45 ml
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard 15 ml
- Salt to taste
- ground pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pot over moderate heat.
- Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper and brown in the hot oil.
- Add the chopped onion and saute until tender but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetables, lentils, chicken stock, and apple juice and bring to a boil.
- Simmer covered over low heat until the chicken and lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the cornstarch mixture, creme fraiche, and mustard and simmer, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened.