Sausage and Onion Gravy is a true British favourite. The simplicity of the gravy that somehow carries such a strong and superb flavour is worth looking forward to. I add a touch of red wine to the gravy for added body but this is optional. Served with Garlic Mashed Potatoes or straight Mashed Potatoes. for a simple but truly delicious flavour. This is a meal that will become a family favourite fast. I normally use a good Cumberland Sausage for the additional full bodied flavour. As a friend described it, you cant have mashed potato with out onion gravy. It is like bacon without the egg, marmite without the toast, Abbot without Costello.
Sausage and Onion Gravy
- Meanwhile, heat the oil and fry the onions on a medium-heat for about 10 minutes until they are softened.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and red wine and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Blend the Thyme with the stock and flour and add to the pan with the redcurrant jelly.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 2-3 minutes or until thickened and glossy.
- Serve the sausages with the gravy and creamy mashed potato.
- Grill or bake the sausages, until cooked through.