This is a recipe that you must try. It is a superb recipe that can be eaten on the go. Breakfast Scones with Ham and Tomato is a bit of a magic trick. The ingredients are camouflaged so that the bacon and some cheddar cheese are included with the scone dough. When people tuck in they are hit by the amazing flavours they didn’t expect. The mushrooms are also included in the dough for additional flavour, colour and aroma. I serve Breakfast Scones with Ham and Tomato with sliced tomatoes and sliced ham for ease of eating but always spread cream cheese on the scone instead of butter.
Breakfast Scones with Ham and Tomato
- Preheat the oven to 220C, gas mark 7.
- Grease a baking tray.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the mushrooms for 4-5 minutes until golden.
- Grill the bacon whole and chop the bacon into small pieces, roughly 1cm.
- Mix the flour and baking powder in a large bowl and rub in the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the bacon mixture and half the cheese. Mix in the milk to form a soft dough.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough to 2cm thick and using a 6cm round cutter, cut out 10 scones and place on the tray.
- Sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden.