When most people think of Italian cuisine, they think of two dishes; Spaghetti Bolognese and Lasagna. This sauce, Italian Bologna Style Meat Sauce – Ragu Bolognese is what pulls both of those dishes together. The intense flavour of the meat sauce with the hit of onions, carrot and celery blend with the wine, nutmeg and peeled tomatoes. This mixture is difficult to mess up as long as you follow the instructions. The real flavour of Italy, Italian Bologna Style Meat Sauce – Ragu Bolognese should slowly blip away for a few hours. This gives the fluid time to evaporate whilst leaving behind the goodness.
Italian Bologna-Style Meat Sauce - Ragu Bolognese
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a pot over moderate heat and saute the onion, carrot, and celery until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add the beef, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beef has lost its pink colour.
- Add the wine and cook until it is mostly evaporated.
- Add the milk and cook until it is mostly evaporated.
- Add the nutmeg and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to the lowest setting so the pot is barely simmering and cook uncovered until all the liquid has evaporated, about 3 hours.