Lasagna has to be one of the most popular forms of feeding a group of people. It is easy to produce, full of flavour and any leftovers will keep you going for days. It is a dish made with stacked layers of pasta alternated with divine sauce. I use ground beef with tomatoes, onions and garlic for a bolognaise feel. However, the indulgence really comes from the three cheeses I use, cheddar, mozzarella and cottage cheese. Also, it is baked in the oven and I serve it with Homemade Garlic Bread for wiping the bowl. Furthermore, one of the best things about Lasagna is that it is good to make in advance and freeze and good to reheat.
- Saute onion, garlic, and ground beef in shortening about 20 minutes.
- Add shortening, tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Cook noodles in boiling water with 1 tbsp. salt for 20 minutes; drain.
- Put 1/3 meat mixture in baking dish.
- Add layer of noodles,
- add 1/2 cottage cheese,
- 1/3 Mozzarella,
- and 1/2 Cheddar.
- Repeat layers, ending with remaining meat mixture and top with remaining 1/3 Mozzarella cheese.
- Place dish in preheated oven at 200C for 20-25 minutes or until piping hot and cooked throughout.