Oysters Broiled in Garlic Butter is a simple but delicious recipe for those who need an additional flavour to oysters. Once you have tried these like this, you will be hooked. This is a classic French recipe that is the best way to eat oysters in my opinion. The garlic butter adds texture, flavour and that ever pleasing aroma. The ingredients are simple but each one has a task and they all make it. Grilling them (broiling) crisps the bread crumbs and melts the butter so everything blends with each other. These are excellent starters and canapes and always make dinner parties stand out
Oysters Broiled in Garlic Butter
- Open the oysters, loosen the meat from the lower (curved) shell, and leave it on the shell.
- Arrange the shells on a baking sheet, using a thin bed of rock salt to stabilize them if desired.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan over moderate heat and saute the shallot and garlic until translucent, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Combine the bread crumbs and parsley and sprinkle over the oysters.
- Drizzle the butter mixture over the bread crumbs and place about 3 inches (8 cm) below a preheated broiler (grill) until the bread crumbs begin to brown, about 2 minutes.