Spaghetti with meatballs is an Italian dish consisting of spaghetti, tomato sauce and meatballs. This is a classic main dish that is easy to make and always full of flavour. This dish has the warmth from the pepper flakes and the gorgeous aroma from the oregano, garlic and onions. These combine to make a sauce that will improve any pasta dish. Always remember the Parmesan Cheese is more of a garnish in this dish than an ingredient. I often make this sauce in advance and freeze it. Just pour portion into zip lock bags and lay flat. They take up less room in the freezer.
Spaghetti and Meatballs
- 3 tbsp olive oil 45 ml
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano 2 ml
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes or to taste, 1 ml
- 4 cans Italian plum tomatoes with their liquid 420 g (15oz) each
- 2 tbsp tomato paste 30 ml
- 2 tbsp parsley 30 ml, chopped
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar 5 ml
- Salt to taste
- ground pepper to taste
- 1 lb spaghetti or other thin noodle cooked according to the package directions, 450 g
- Combine the bread, egg, and milk in a mixing bowl, stirring to combine, and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Mash the bread mixture with a fork to make a smooth paste.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Form the meat into balls about the size of golf balls (or larger if you like) and place them on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 400F (200C) oven until browned, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce.
- Heat the oil in a pot over moderate heat and sauté the onion until tender but not brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes with their liquid, crushing the tomatoes with your hand as you add them.
- Add the tomato paste, basil, vinegar, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add the meatballs and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- To serve, toss about 1 cup of the sauce with the drained spaghetti and divide it between the serving plates.
- Top with the meatballs and remaining sauce and serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.